Are you religious?

Non-Halloween related stuff. Same rules: family oriented, no flaming, be nice. ;-)
Haunt Master

Are you religious?

Post by Haunt Master » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:13 pm

Based on some arugements going on everywhere... How many here are religious?

Well, I am the first to say, NO, I am not a Christian or in any other religious cultures, you know? But, I'm the Haunter! :D

Frankenstein
Crypt Keeper
What is the highest number?: 9

Re: Are you religious?

Post by Frankenstein » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:42 pm

I am religious. I am a Greek Orthodox Christian.
Double, double, toil and trouble....

OctoberChill
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by OctoberChill » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:42 am

I sort of have my own view of God I suppose. I don't go to church. I'm more "spiritual" than "religious". Yeah, that's it 8)

hippieluvn
Halloween Master

Post by hippieluvn » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:30 am

I am a freethinker and a humanist. I was baptized and raised Catholic—13 years in Catholic school and 1 year in seminary. My religious views, however, have evolved along with my human formation. I have little use for organized religion now; I do attend a local Unitarian Universalist congregation on occasion, though. I am a man of prayer, but I believe that prayer must be backed with action. Too many religious folks think that prayer alone—like faith alone—is enough to "save" them and enact change in the world. I am not one of these! Here are a few of my favorite quotations on the subject:

"We need to be the change we wish to see in the world."
~ Gandhi

"Even as a tree has a single trunk but many branches and leaves, there is one religion—human religion—but any number of faiths."
~ Gandhi

"I do not feel obliged to believe that same God who endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect had intended for us to forgo their use."
~ Galileo

"Humanism teaches us that it is immoral to wait for God to act for us. We must act to stop the wars and the crimes and the brutality of this and future ages. We have powers of a remarkable kind. We have a high degree of freedom in choosing what we will do. Humanism tells us that whatever our philosophy of the universe may be, ultimately the responsibility for the kind of world in which we live rests with us."
~ Kenneth Phifer

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:11 pm

Yes, I am a very devout Catholic, born and raised. I attend Mass every Sunday, and pray the Rosary every day on my way to work and home from work. I also believe in the apperitions of the Blessed Mother in Medjugorje, and I think they do have something very profound implications for all of us as human beings.

Mike

SpookShowBaby
Haunt Master

Post by SpookShowBaby » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:29 pm

I am not religious, but spiritual. I feel a connection with the Earth and nature. There is something very calming and relaxing about sitting outside under the trees. I have fairies in my house that like to torment my cats and hide things. My sister-in-law sees them too. And really, God can't be just a male.
“Come let us meet, with charm and spell, by magic arts our fates to tell.”

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:07 pm

God INVENTED males and females, spooklady.

Mike

SpookShowBaby
Haunt Master

Post by SpookShowBaby » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:12 am

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. It doesnt mean it's right or other people have to believe what you believe. Just look at it from this perspective (you dont have to agree) How can a masculine deity creative life alone? Wouldn't it make more sense to have the masculine and feminine aspects? A woman can't get pregnant without the male parts somewhere along the line!
“Come let us meet, with charm and spell, by magic arts our fates to tell.”

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:32 pm

Actualy I don't have an opinion abou tit one way or the other. I go by what was taught to me by my religion, and what is taught by the Catholic Church in general. One of the most intrigal parts of my belief system as a Catholic is belief in the Holy Trinity. That's the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. We do venerate the Virgin Mary, and I personaly believe that she is our spiritual mother. In fact, she's been given the title Blessed Mother and Queen of Heaven. So I don't presume to know whether God is Male or Female. I only have what I was taught to go by.

One way I look at it, is arguing over whether God is male of female is like arguing whether Thomas Edison is a light bulb or a phonograph. God invented life. He invented life, and all the scientific laws that govern how life works. For that reason, I have the impression that "God the Father' is a purely spiritual entity, who envented the entire concept of life. I could be wrong, because I am niehter a Bible scholar or a prophet.

Another way to look at it is that Christ the Son was born of the Virgin Mary, and conceived by the Holy Spirit. That would indicate a male role there. But it should also be noted that the Virgin Mary is the ONE AND ONLY human being who was ever concieved without any sin. She was the ONE AND ONLY "perfect" human being who ever lived. Her son, Jesus Christ is God, so he's more then human. The Blessed Mother is THE only person who ever lived who is totaly guiltless in every way. So while the Catholic Church may have a lot of patriarchel attitudes, it is Catholic teaching that no man could ever hold a candle to the Blessed Mother.

Mike

Nostalgiascape
Halloween Master

Post by Nostalgiascape » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:57 pm

I am a non denominational Christian. Translated that means me, and the bible...and no man made hoops to jump through.
The dark night beckons. Bear us your soul, it whispers. Expose your wicked delights. Join the rest of us on the wind. The dark night beckons and we answer. Sailing into the shadows.

jadewik
Halloween Master

Post by jadewik » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:41 pm

I have a religion, but I wouldn't say it makes me "religious"... at least, not a religious zealot.

Generally speaking, I keep religion close to the vest. It's one of two or three topics I don't discuss openly unless I know the other side respects the fact that I have my own views and knows that I respect that they have theirs. I claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of my own conscience, and allow others the same privilege-- let them worship how, where, or what they may. As long as both sides "get" that, religious discussion is a piece of cake.

If you're interested in knowing my actual religion, I've given quite enough hints through this post... and I prefer to keep it at that. If you REALLY want to know, you could find out; however, I don't believe it's that important since we all share a common love of Halloween.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:03 pm

Jadwik, I firmly believe in the biblical saying "Judge not lest ye be judged." I would never disrespect you or your God-given right to your own beliefs, whether I agree with them or not. I have a niece who's into Wicca, two brothers who are agnostics, a sister in-law who's an atheist, and many good friends who are jewish, protestant, and other belief systems.

So don't ever think that I came into this forum to judge you or anyone else. That's not what being a Christian is all about, and I do consider myself a Christian.

Mike

Kyu
Vampire

Post by Kyu » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:32 pm

No.

I do follow Catholic morals though. I was raised on them, and I have stuck to it's basic rules.

I will not go into detail though on why I am no longer-religous.
Sexisim is the main issue though.

DemonSlayerMau
Halloween Master

Post by DemonSlayerMau » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:05 am

I've thought about bringing up similiar topics...but I'm not sure what I'd be allowed to talk about.
As for what I am...I have personal beliefs...I don't necessarily know what to believe...I was a Christian but I got tired of all the "rules" that center around it and I got tired of people saying "if you don't belive this you aren't saved blah blah blah"
I'm not sure if God exists or not... I think he/she does exist...but not as an omnipotent being. Personally I believe God is more of a pantheistic God...existing withing nature and being made up of the spiritual life forms all around us that govern the universe... a universal spiritual life force...
As for what happens after we die...it's uncertain as well...we could go to heaven or hell...we could be reincarnated...depending on what happened during our deaths we could be walking around as ghosts...I think ghosts are those who cling to their existance in life...those who are murdered...killed without any warning...those who may have died before they wanted to die...even if they are ready they may still cling to this world...
My grandfather died of cancer but he wanted five more years to live...a pastor claimed he was ready but when he died...It's hard to say...I wonder if his ghost is wandering around...

Erhem anyway I'm getting lost here. Anyway I have personal beliefs that all life has a spirit, the plants and animals all have a soul of their own. No life is superior than the other.
I could go on and on about what I believe but I doubt anyone wants a thousand word essay on it ^^;
This probably seems crazy, crazy, a graveyard theory,
A ghost tried to approach me and got leery.
Ask him a question and he vanished in a second...

~ From a Ghost's Pumpkin Soup (Pumpkin Hill zone theme Song from Sonic Adventure 2) ~

Haunt Master

Post by Haunt Master » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:49 pm

Somebody said that if you polled to see many people here were Christians you would be surprised. I am just curious to see how this turns out. I will be the first to say, No I am not a Christian or link to any religious myself. ;)