Pumpkin prices....

Discussion of general Halloween topics
Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:33 am

I don't know how much they are going for yet, they've just been starting to trickle into the stores, but I'll let you know. I did buy 3 of the mini ones for my front porch display that I have up right now, they cost me $.98 each, very very cute, I love em :D

Wicked
Crypt Keeper

Post by Wicked » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:40 pm

hmm... over at my patch where i usually pick them up they can get pretty expensive, up to $35 for a really nice big one. they have boxes and boxes of gourds displayed too, i think those are around 3/$5. i'm planning on going over there next weekend so i'll check out the prices then.
~ do you think me wicked? ~

EvilMel
Haunt Master

Post by EvilMel » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:23 am

I bought my first pumpkin yesterday. I got it from Kroger and it's pretty big. I paid $7.50, which is a bit steep...but it had a good shape and stem.
Halloweiner Extraordinaire.

Laurie Strode

Post by Laurie Strode » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:45 am

So I got a few pumpkins from Walmart- still holding out for the local church's pumpkin patch to open as well...I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed that the Walmart brand pumpkin stems are soggy....our pumpkins have flimsy, soggy feeling stems- what the??? :evil:

Cadaverino
Haunt Master

Post by Cadaverino » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:04 am

Wicked wrote:hmm... over at my patch where i usually pick them up they can get pretty expensive, up to $35 for a really nice big one.
Good heavens! Where is that?

Spooky
Haunt Master

Post by Spooky » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:31 pm

OMG! That's expensive.

Yesterday, I went to the pumpkin patch near me, which I have never done before...and I couldn't believe how cheap it was.

The mini pumpkins were 6 for $1.00.

The biggest pumpkin that we could find was only $5.00.

I spent $18.00, and got a van load of pumpkins, gourds and white pumpkins...plus it was so much fun.

EvilMel
Haunt Master

Post by EvilMel » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:06 pm

Laurie Strode wrote:So I got a few pumpkins from Walmart- still holding out for the local church's pumpkin patch to open as well...I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed that the Walmart brand pumpkin stems are soggy....our pumpkins have flimsy, soggy feeling stems- what the??? :evil:
Be careful with soggy stemmed ones. I have noticed that ones in which there is a problem with the stem will rot waaaay faster. I never EVER buy a pumpkin without a quality stem (from years of experience).
Halloweiner Extraordinaire.

Laurie Strode

Post by Laurie Strode » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:11 pm

Hmmm, good to know EvilMel! I've never run into the soggy stem situation before- I wish I had more pumpkin location options than Walmart around here! ***CURSE YOU, STUPID WALMART!***

magickbean
Halloween Master

Post by magickbean » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:18 pm

I have noticed that whenever I've bought a pumpkin from Asda-Walmart, the stem has been soggy and it has started to rot a couple of days after carving :(

I'm buying them from my local greengrocers this year though, so hopefully they will fare better. Any other tips for what to look for in a good pumpkin when shopping around? :)

Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:11 am

Ok folks, I picked up my 2 pumpkins tonight. At the store, yes sadly a store, they were all $3.99 each regardless of the size you picked. So there you have it. Sadly there was no fun in it this year, just in a big ol slump the size of this freakin planet, but hey, I'll have 2 pumpkins out :lol:

mryantaylor
Crypt Keeper

Post by mryantaylor » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:45 am

Utah - I've seen a huge range of prices, the best has been 9 cents a pound and that's where I got 5 medium pumpkins for under 5 dollars. Of course I had to pay $3 for a white one.
M Ryan Taylor, ThirteenForHalloween.com - Music, Art, Recipes, etc.

Hdunlopclark
Master Reaper

Post by Hdunlopclark » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:40 am

magickbean wrote:Pumpkins are approximately £2.99 ($5.99) here :(
Thats strange,

I payed £3.50 for a huge pumpkin and £1.50 for am medium so i got one large and three medium but then i had the delights of going to a farmers market where the were MEGA CHEEP at £1.50 for a large and £2.50 for anything bigger than a large.You see there is a hole in a peice of wood with the size and and price and if your pumpkin goes through that hole thats the price you pay and the £2.50 is anything that can not fit through the hole. So now i have 16 pumpkins to carve :shock:

magickbean
Halloween Master

Post by magickbean » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:50 am

Aww Harry that sounds awesome. I wish I had a place like that around here. Maybe when I go back to Portsmouth for the weekend I will see if the local farm is selling off any pumpkins. They've gone down from £2.99 to £1.50 now at Sainsbury's, they are half price but that's probably because they are all quite skanky :( I'm getting a few from my local greengrocers as they have very nice pumpkins for about £2.50 for a large. I have also set up a Jack O'Lantern competition this year so hopefully we will have a few extras to light up the patio :D

tomanderson
Halloween Master

Post by tomanderson » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:55 pm

I have been surprised...in my area, pumpkin prices have been reasonable, but then, I have not seen many "beautiful" perfect pumpkins...there are lots of scarred, warty, odd-looking ones for cheap (five dollars flat fee for one of those) and maybe two to three dollars for a small pie pumpkin. I have bought several pie pumpkins this year and have cooked one. This was lots of fun and I even made roast pumpkin seeds too and they were good!

One Eye'd Jack

Post by One Eye'd Jack » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:47 pm

OOOH!!!! Roasted pumpkin seeds!!!! I'd forgotten about being able to do that!!!
Thanks for the idea! Image