Halloween Declining???

Discussion of general Halloween topics
Halloweennut08
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Re: Halloween Declining???

Post by Halloweennut08 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:55 am

I was thinking the same same i posted on The Haunted Tv section didn't know this topic was started. But here is what I said in full transcript.

"I'm am really concerned about Halloween guys, I turn On TV today expecting to see loads of shows only found 3 out of 50 that's horrible. Then I come here expect to see tons of posts hardly any. Then to make matters worse, I was excited because I was expecting a lot of Trick or Treaters and that I decorated early so they knew I was handing out candy. The least I ever had was set about 4 years ago at 4, the most was in 2000 with 67. I live in a small city in Ohio. Usually the average is about 30 kids coming every year. Last year I had about 20 this year I had a whopping 2 kids. I couldn't believe it Has everyone forgotten about HALLOWEEN or whats going on. I feel like this Holiday is on the road to become like a second rate holiday. I hope not but what is going on?????"

I hope this Halloween is just a coincidence and because of this stupid election, Back in the good ole days in the 90's when I was a kid when we went tot you had to wait about a minute or 2 to actually get some candy and we was still a small village and today its like a ghost town.
HALLOWEEN 2011 THE COUNTDOWN BEGINS!!!!

Ghoul of the Graves
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by Ghoul of the Graves » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:53 am

I have only seen one house decorated here in England :cry: It is a large-ish pumpkin baloon with tassles dangling from the bottom, that is the ONLY Halloween decoration I have seen.
Nobody decorates near where I live and I cannot find any decorations for outside anywhere. It's too late now but it's still sad.
Also my mum isn't even opening the door or buying candy this year because I'm going with my dad, my brother, my dad's girlfriend and her two daughters. My dad would open the door if we were there but as his girlfriend/partner enjoys Halloween so much she is making him dress up and come with us :lol:

I promise to get some pictures.
Please report all offensive posts to the Mods!

Big Lew
Ghost

Post by Big Lew » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:48 pm

It would agree and disagree with this. I think Halloween parties and family get togathers are up as well as church and other commercial activities. I just don't think as many people are taking to the streets because of crime and fewer houses passing out candy or decorating. Less people are decorating because we are sick and tired of people stealing our decorations or breaking things just for fun. Then we don't want to give out candy to the same little brats that stole from us, so we just don't give any candy out. The next problem is that many kids simply want the candy, the don't care about the effort you put into making it fun or scary, in fact some don't even want to dress up or do something as simple as say trick or treat. I had one boy tell me don't even bother trying to scary him because nothing scares him anymore, just give me the candy. With attitudes like that you have to wonder why should I bother to take the time and expense to buy candy and decorate for a bunch of people that could really care less about anything other then some free candy. I love Halloween, in fact it is one of my favorite holidays, but I think this is the last year I will do the outdoor decorations and passing out candy. I think next year I'll decorate very nicely indoors, make a lot of really good food, and invite over some good friends and thier families and have really fun Halloween with people who appreciate the effort and expense. It's sad it has to come to this bu I don't want to keep buying decorations for someone else to take. Funny thing is that I'll spend more on this party than doing it the other way. The money never really was the concern it wasjust the way some people acted.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:07 pm

That really is a sad comentery on what Halloween is turning into for some people, but you are right. Nothing is more frustrating then paying a pile of money, and putting in all the work, only to have your decorations vandalized or stolen from you, and then to add insult to injory, you find out that the little jerks who spray painted your inflatable pumpkin or brok your artificial tomb stone into littke pieces or smashed your Jack O'Lantern are the very ones who you gave out candy to when they came to your door.

It seems that a lot of traditions are dieing off any more. I can remember during the entire Advent season, we would get Christmas Carolers at our door. Not only did we invite them in for a snack, but we actualy looked forward to their visits. It was a definate part of the Christmas season. That tradition is as deas as a door nail these days as many are afraid to open their doors any more.

I peraonaly hope that there are allways trick or treaters at my door on Halloween, but who knows how things are going to go.

Mike

Halloween4Ever
Zombie

Post by Halloween4Ever » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:52 am

I agree with both of you, in general today's kids have very little respect for anyone or anything. There are many reasons for this, Hollywood, the public school system, but mostly their parents. Since parents need to work more today than in the past, they are simply too busy or too tired to raise their children right or at least spend quality time with them. Instead they sit in front of the TV and are brainwashed by Hollywood.
I understand the need as much as anybody it is often required for both parents to work and have nothing against it. But I know there are cases
that it is not necessary for both parents to work or it would be possible for them to alter their schedules to be with their children more. It seems to me that alot of parents (not all) just don't want to give the extra effort to do this.This is a sad thing and will only get worse.

You are right the decline with Halloween is not only with Halloween, It is with all of the major holidays. Look at Christmas, it's all about money, it has lost alot of it's true meaning. This decline is not only confined to holidays, it has spread throughout family life as well. Families hardly even eat together at the dinner table, alot of parents barely even say 5 words a day to their kids, Dads don't take their sons fishing anymore, instead they would rather go out with their buddies after work, These are only a few examples. I know there are exceptions I guess to summarize it simply, society is slowly becoming a money oriented, selfish society. I do know that there are still some people that appreciate the effort of decorating though, I experienced this because there was one yard display that was huge and very detailed. There were tons of people there taking pictures. Although I did notice a decline of decorated houses as the pattern has been over the last 5 years. I understand that it may be somewhat of a bummer the way that Halloween enthusiasm is declining, but I guarantee there are some kids that remember which houses are decked out with decorations and do look forward to visiting them each year. My kids are an example of this. I know there are jerks out there that don't appreciate anything, but I guarantee that there are people that really do appreciate the effort. I think they are just the silent majority.

scorpio 40
Vampire

Post by scorpio 40 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:15 am

it was definately quieter this year, not as many trick or treaters on the streets.
even our halloween party was quieter because we chose to do it on the day, rather than the saturday.

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:48 pm

My coworkers have brought in a mountain of un-treated candy. Good for me, sad for Halloween.

I think that it was the election/economy double-whammy that did it in for this year.

:(
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

SpookShowBaby
Haunt Master

Post by SpookShowBaby » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:39 am

All the haunted houses we went to this year, save one, were not that great. We ended up not being able to attend Halloween because we were out of town for a funeral, but my friends even said it was pretty sad. I think people just dont care about tradition anymore. Everyone gets caught up in the mundane.
“Come let us meet, with charm and spell, by magic arts our fates to tell.”

Halloweennut08
Haunt Master

Post by Halloweennut08 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:08 am

I 200% Agree with you Halloween 4Ever you couldn't have said that any better, And i do agree it was a double whammy nothing we could do about it. I guess we will half to just do damage control till next year.
HALLOWEEN 2011 THE COUNTDOWN BEGINS!!!!

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:21 am

I had plenty of "Trick or treat'ers," but it seams that fear is also another major factor that's ruining a wonderful tradition. People are afraid to allow their children go TOT ing door to door, and many are afraid to open their doors. Elderly people, especialy, are afraid that if they open their doors to hand out candy, they could be 'strong-armed' and robbed, or have their homes invaded. That's happened in a few isolated cases and has been the cause of some communities banning TOT all together.

Look at the custom of Christmas Caaroling. That use to be very common when I was a kid. I grew up at 111th and Polaski, too. Yet, almost every other day, kids would ring our door bells to sing Christmas carols al through December, and I use to go around with a group from my school to go caroling at various places, and everyone thought of it as an indespensible Christmas tradition. Now a days, nobody goes caroling door to door. It's almost unheard of ecept in some old Christmas songs. But again, people are afraid to open their doors, and they are afraid to let their kids go door to door.

Mike