Your best Halloween memory?

Discussion of general Halloween topics
SpiderBite
Ghost
What is the highest number?: 10992

Your best Halloween memory?

Post by SpiderBite » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:54 pm

What was your best or favorite Halloween memory you have? For me it was either going to a local Haunted House when I was younger, or seeing The Nightmare before Christmas in 3D. :D

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Re: Your best Halloween memory?

Post by Murfreesboro » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:35 am

I think my very best Halloween memories have involved TOTing with my kids, who (wistful sigh) are all grown now. But our neighbors have always gone all out on yard haunts, in a manner that nobody did when I was a child in Mississippi in the '60s. Seeing all that imagination on display, the fantastically carved pumpkins, the astonishing costumes, especially on nights when the weather cooperated-- that's been the best for me. In our neighborhood Halloween becomes a block party. People drive in for it. Sometimes even the police have to come in and direct traffic. Nowadays I run my own yard haunt, but I always take off about 30 minutes so I can walk the street and see what others have done.

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:18 pm

Aww, Murf is getting all sentimental. :wink:

The year I went as Luke Skywalker.

My sister made the costume from a martial arts pattern, and I made a lightsaber out of a flashlight, colored gel, and a plastic golf club tube.

I don't even remember how much candy I collected, became I was LUKE FREAKIN' SKYWALKER!!
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:27 am

My best memory was the year I changed colors and font size on Halloween.com Forums!

Seriously though, when I was a wee lad, around the middle of October, some guy in a monster mask would chase us kids around the neighborhood, scaring the shi... pooh out of us. He'd do this right up to Hallowe'en night. This went on for about five years. Never found out who it was, never wanted to know. I wasn't the only one who loved it, all the kids in the neighborhood did. When I got older, and tried to continue the tradition, some guy punched me in the face for scaring his kid. I guess times change, huh?

BTW: Font size is in honor of Mike. I hope he's still around and is too busy for us halloweirdos.

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:09 am

Awww...It must be pretty dusty in here...
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

JonH
Crypt Keeper

Post by JonH » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:05 am

I have different favorite memories for different times in my life (fyi, I'm 37).
- from childhood, its growing up as an elementary school kid of the '80's and the great trick r treating nights of that awesome decade - jack 'o lanterns on every patio (but not a lot of other store-bought decorations!), and a swarm of kids (all by ourselves!) out trick r treating, seemingly for hours.
- as a teen/early 20's young adult, it was late night Halloween parties and non-stop haunted houses
- now as an adult, its the block-party like atmosphere of our neighborhood, where we average 150-300 trick r treaters, and every few houses a fire pit going on the driveway, and enjoying our decked-out front yard haunt that no one would've dreamed of in the 1980's.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:00 pm

My best Halloween memory was when I was still living in New York at my grandma's and my boyfriend came to visit me for Halloween. :) (This was back when we were still in a long distance relationship) It was great fun, we dressed up in costumes, carved pumpkins (it was the first time I'd ever carved a white pumpkin and they looked so cool!) and we went to a haunted house. We got to hand out candy too (something I really miss about living where I am now, but at least I have more freedom to decorate. My grandma wasn't a big fan of Halloween.) One of my best friends from childhood joined in. After trick or treating was over, we took a stroll of the town to look at all the cool Halloween decorations.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection