Halloween baking :)

Discussion of general Halloween topics
Chris1981
Ghost
What is the highest number?: 10992

Halloween baking :)

Post by Chris1981 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:48 pm

Hi everyone! :) my name is Chris. :) i love halloween, and have been visiting this site for a few months, and reading topics on the forum. halloween is one of our favorite holidays. Each week, my little niece Kayla and i bake goodies, it's called "baking friday" we have baked goodies for 107 straight friday's, and our friends from all over the world on http://www.dailystrength.org join in on the baking friday fun. It's become a great tradition, and some of our favorite baking friday adventures, are for the holidays. especially halloween. it's so much fun each week. this past friday, Kayla (who is 8 years old) and i baked a witch themed cake, and black cat themed sugar cookies, and the week before, we baked a pumpkin patch cake, and pumpkin themed cupcakes. :)

this upcoming friday, we're gonna have a ghost themed adventure, turning our kitchen into a "haunted kitchen" we're then gonna have a "monster mash" theme on the 23rd, and on the 30th, we're gonna bake a pumpkin cake, and pumpkin themed cookies. :) i have some pictures i'd love to share with you all. :)

has anyone been baking any halloween goodies? ps, each day, i also have been having a "Horror-ween movie fest", with a different featured move each day. :) i have a "halloween town" decorations in my computer room, with a "haunted movie theatre" where i feature the day's movie theme. :)

It was witching hour in the kitchen, as Kayla and i baked a witch themed cake. :)

This is a picture of Kayla decorating the cake. :)

This is a picture of the black cat themed sugar cookies. :)

We decorate our kitchen each week, for our baking friday adventures. :)

This is a picture of our pumpkin patch cake, from October 2nd. :)

This is a picture of our pumpkin themed cupcakes. :)

This is a picture of my little nieces Kayla (on the right) and my great niece Taylynn (on the left) during our October 2nd baking friday adventure. :)

It's very nice to meet you all. :) Happy halloween season! :)

Belladonna
Halloween Master

Re: Halloween baking :)

Post by Belladonna » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:22 pm

Very cool cakes, cookies and cupcakes!
Adorable nieces, too.
That is a great idea having different-themed baking parties and movie screenings.
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep, and I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep. Did you hear me butterfly? Miles to go before you sleep."

wendythewitch
Crypt Keeper

Post by wendythewitch » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:38 am

last year i found a recipe for cookies that looked like amputated fingers. the recipe was good because it would hold its shape. you can make wrinkles at the knuckles and they wont spread when they're baked. you use an almond for the fingernail and dip the other end in red food color to look like blood. they were awesome. for the life of me, i cant remember the recipe but im gonna go look today and see if i can find it for you. kids will get a big kick out of them. i suppose you could try to use sugar cookie dough, but when they rise, you wont be able to see the wrinklies in the knuckles. ok, im off to see if i can find that recipe.

wendythewitch
Crypt Keeper

Post by wendythewitch » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:58 am

ok, i found it. here is a recipe that calls for butter cookies. you can type in witch finger cookies and find all sorts of links if you like with photos. but here is one recipe.
1 C butter
1 1/2 C powdered sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 C flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp. salt.
you want to mix these ingredients. shape them into a skinny log shape and make the knuckles thicker. using a paring knife, make slices in the knuckles for wrinklies. place an almond on the tip for a finger nail. chill for 30 minutes. and bake at 400 degrees for 7 to 9 minutes. let them cool, then using a little red icing, lift the almond nail and put a dab there to hold the nail in place, and dip the other end in red icing for blood. they also have recipes that use green food color in the actual cookie dough to look like witch fingers., i just know your nieces will get a big kick out of these and since there is a lot of play forming them and painting with red icing, its perfect for kids. just remember, the almond will probably fall out during baking, but you still want it there to form the hollow base for it when its ready to be "glued" to the fingers.

Chris1981
Ghost

Post by Chris1981 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:19 am

Thank you BellaDonna and Wendy. :)

That's a nice spook-tacular and cool halloween recipe. we'd love to try baking those cookies. It's so much fun baking.
i love walmarts baking area, with all of the different themed cookie cutters, and also frostings, and decoratives. :)

Happy baking! :)

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:22 am

you guys look like you have a TON of fun..
the food looks too good as well :) i've gotta a sugar tooth
Last night 'twas witching Hallowe'en
Dearest; an apple russet- brown
I pared, and thrice above my crown
Whirled the long skin; they watched in keen;
I flung it far; they laughed and cried me shame
Dearest, there lay the letter of your name!

Belladonna
Halloween Master

Post by Belladonna » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:45 am

wendythewitch wrote:ok, i found it. here is a recipe that calls for butter cookies. you can type in witch finger cookies and find all sorts of links if you like with photos. but here is one recipe.
1 C butter
1 1/2 C powdered sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 C flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp. salt.
you want to mix these ingredients. shape them into a skinny log shape and make the knuckles thicker. using a paring knife, make slices in the knuckles for wrinklies. place an almond on the tip for a finger nail. chill for 30 minutes. and bake at 400 degrees for 7 to 9 minutes. let them cool, then using a little red icing, lift the almond nail and put a dab there to hold the nail in place, and dip the other end in red icing for blood. they also have recipes that use green food color in the actual cookie dough to look like witch fingers., i just know your nieces will get a big kick out of these and since there is a lot of play forming them and painting with red icing, its perfect for kids. just remember, the almond will probably fall out during baking, but you still want it there to form the hollow base for it when its ready to be "glued" to the fingers.

Thanks for posting the recipe wendy, I'm going to try this one.
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep, and I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep. Did you hear me butterfly? Miles to go before you sleep."

MacPhantom
Halloween Master

Post by MacPhantom » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:57 pm

That rocks, mate! Makes me want to get out of the basement and back into the kitchen.

Ghoul of the Graves
Halloween Master

Post by Ghoul of the Graves » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:57 am

Wow, those snacks look delicious :D You must have lots of fun. :)
Please report all offensive posts to the Mods!