When do you start hankering for Halloween?

Discussion of general Halloween topics
vrb8919
Crypt Keeper
What is the highest number?: 10992

When do you start hankering for Halloween?

Post by vrb8919 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:19 pm

All year long? End of the holidays? During summer?

For me, I try to enjoy each season as it comes along, but I really start getting a hankering for Halloween during the beginning/middle of June. I love the summer(it's my second favorite season), but I always felt the reason I start getting excited about Halloween is because I know a few stores start putting out their fall/Halloween decor after July 4th, so in my mind I know we have about one more month until we start seeing Halloween stuff. How about you?

johnsoneliza52
Haunt Master

Re: When do you start hankering for Halloween?

Post by johnsoneliza52 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:33 pm

After the Christmas and New Years holiday...That's when we start thinking about what we will do for a display for the 'up and coming' Halloween

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:10 pm

I am also someone who enjoys each season in turn, but I do start thinking about Halloween probably from July on (after the 4th). Summer just gets so blamed hot in the South, and you begin to feel enervated by it. The autumn comes as such a blessing, and I yearn for it. Halloween is the zenith of the autumn.

vrb8919
Crypt Keeper

Post by vrb8919 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:44 pm

johnsoneliza52 wrote:After the Christmas and New Years holiday...That's when we start thinking about what we will do for a display for the 'up and coming' Halloween

Cool! Do you guys do a yard haunt, or halloween party or something?

vrb8919
Crypt Keeper

Post by vrb8919 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:47 pm

Murfreesboro wrote:I am also someone who enjoys each season in turn, but I do start thinking about Halloween probably from July on (after the 4th). Summer just gets so blamed hot in the South, and you begin to feel enervated by it. The autumn comes as such a blessing, and I yearn for it. Halloween is the zenith of the autumn.

I'm with ya! I live in Texas and it gets pretty hot where I'm at. Autumn is definitely a relief from the heat of summer, and I agree, Halloween to me is the climax of the autumn season.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:33 pm

Yeah, Thanksgiving is an autumn holiday too, of course, but by late November the autumn is definitely muted. This time of year has a somber beauty, and you can certainly feel that you are on the doorstep of winter. But Halloween happens when fall is at its height, and outdoor activities are usually still enjoyable.

Boogeyman
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Boogeyman » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:36 pm

Winter came early this year here. We haven't had any snow on the ground until just before Christmas, if then, in the last twelve years. As I type this, there is at least two inches of snow on the ground and the temps have been in the 20s already. Just a few years ago on December 23, we had temps in the 60s.
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

Henry David Thoreau

vrb8919
Crypt Keeper

Post by vrb8919 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:35 am

Boogeyman wrote:Winter came early this year here. We haven't had any snow on the ground until just before Christmas, if then, in the last twelve years. As I type this, there is at least two inches of snow on the ground and the temps have been in the 20s already. Just a few years ago on December 23, we had temps in the 60s.

Boogeyman, do you mind if I ask where you're from? We may be pretty close to each other, because your weather sounds a lot like the weather we are having.

Boogeyman
Halloween Master

Post by Boogeyman » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:59 pm

Grand Rapids Michigan area, which is in southwest Michigan and about 30 miles from the shores of Lake Michigan. We usually get some more snow due to lake effect.

Where are you?
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

Henry David Thoreau

vrb8919
Crypt Keeper

Post by vrb8919 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:47 pm

Boogeyman wrote:Grand Rapids Michigan area, which is in southwest Michigan and about 30 miles from the shores of Lake Michigan. We usually get some more snow due to lake effect.

Where are you?

haha, nevermind! I'm in west Texas! Pretty much opposite parts of the country. Hope you guys stay warm up there!

Boogeyman
Halloween Master

Post by Boogeyman » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:59 pm

No worries. I actually prefer it colder. I am considering moving to Texas in a few years.

Henry David Thoreau

vrb8919
Crypt Keeper

Post by vrb8919 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:11 pm

Boogeyman wrote:No worries. I actually prefer it colder. I am considering moving to Texas in a few years.

Oh cool! Any particular part of Texas you're looking at?

vrb8919
Crypt Keeper

Post by vrb8919 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:19 pm

Murfreesboro wrote:Yeah, Thanksgiving is an autumn holiday too, of course, but by late November the autumn is definitely muted. This time of year has a somber beauty, and you can certainly feel that you are on the doorstep of winter. But Halloween happens when fall is at its height, and outdoor activities are usually still enjoyable.

This is exactly how I feel. It's like when halloween is over, the autumn season is on a downhill even though there is still technically one and a half months. I always seem to have a little post halloween blues for a little while, because it seems like next year is so far away. That being said, I know time will fly right on by. Heck, it's already been almost a full month since October 31.

Boogeyman
Halloween Master

Post by Boogeyman » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:24 pm

vrb8919 wrote:
Boogeyman wrote:No worries. I actually prefer it colder. I am considering moving to Texas in a few years.

Oh cool! Any particular part of Texas you're looking at?

Honestly, I haven't even started that process yet. And I may never do it. But I just want to move to a state that is doing things the right way, for the most part. I have so many things I need to do first when the job starts, like paying down my current mortgage.

Henry David Thoreau

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:09 pm

It depends, but a lot of times I start thinking more about Halloween in the mid to late summer, usually around July or so. I keep waiting to see when they will finally get the Halloween decorations in at the stores.
When visiting family in New York in August, I literally made a bee line to the Halloween stuff at Big Lots. XD
Nocturnal Purr-Fection