School bans Halloween costumes

News about Halloween from all over world...
Murfreesboro
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: School bans Halloween costumes

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:34 pm

Aww, Boogeyman, I know not everyone wants or needs to have kids in order to feel fulfilled. I am just being selfish, I guess. Anyway, my son will do what he chooses to do, regardless of me.

power costumes
Ghost

Post by power costumes » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:30 pm

BTW the constitution says no such thing. CONGRESS, not the states.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:37 pm

I'm not planning on having kids either. That said, I do see the value and importance in our youth's education.

Now I do agree that Education is definitely the primary focus of school, but extracurricular activities and celebration of holidays brightens the mood and overall morale of the students. I could not imagine, as a future teacher and as a student not celebrating Holidays like Christmas or Halloween. One thing I always did like about certain schools is that they'd decorate the classrooms for all the different holidays, right down to the ones not celebrated as much like St Patty's and Valentine's day. There's something "magical" that can be described when you walk into a Library of an elementary or primary school (depending on where you have went) and seeing a selection of books on display specifically for Halloween, or seeing the Kindergarten through Second grade kids make holiday themed decorations out of construction paper, cotton balls, and even macaroni noodles. (I get the same feeling when I walk into a Public Library or a Book store believe it or not!) Even older kids often enjoy getting into the holiday spirit and it's an opportunity to learn how different countries and cultures celebrate. In 6th grade I remember doing a project on different Santa Clauses in different cultures, and that is how I first learned about La Befana. I think I was even younger when I learned about Hanukkah, and this is coming from someone who is of Jewish descent. My Grandma is half Jewish but is a very devout Christian, so she emphasized Christmas more than anything. I actually asked why Christians didn't usually celebrate Passover, and (from my understanding) they believe the Easter celebration pretty much covers that. (Though, wasn't Jesus himself a Jew who practiced Jewish religion and culture? That's the thing that boggled my mind. Now I'm not religious anymore, I already discussed that in another thread, but I think for cultural traditions and a nod to my heritage, I would like to have at least one Passover feast to experience what it's like.)

Now it's a bit controversial but if people want to argue that Halloween is a Pagan holiday, I feel they should be reminded that many Christmas traditions have their roots in old Pagan traditions. Of course, I don't believe people who practice Paganism are bad or anything either, most people who practice Paganism are those who revere and respect nature and have no interest in sacrifices, demon worship or anything of the like. Most Pagans I have met are pretty nice, and respectable people. Even I have considered becoming Pagan, but my skeptical nature questions even that aspect of spirituality. Personally I don't think it should matter how a holiday originated or why we celebrate it. As long as it's for fun, and doing no one any harm and it enriches our lives and gives us something to look forward to, we should keep on celebrating it.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:25 am

To answer your question about Christianity and Passover--yes, Easter is the Christian Passover. Jesus was sacrificed at Passover (hence He is called the "Lamb of God"), and it is because of His "full, perfect, and sufficient sacrifice" for the sins of the world that Christians no longer practice the animal sacrifices described in the Old Testament. The Old Testament figure of Moses, whose Exodus from Egypt instituted the first Passover, is considered the great OT prefigurement of Jesus. There are many theological connections between Moses and Jesus.

Jesus was absolutely a devout Jew Who said that He "did not come to abolish the Law and the Prophets, but to fulfill them." I think it is very sad that there has been a long history of animosity between Christians and Jews. I have taught my own children to respect Judaism because without it, there would be no Christianity. I see nothing wrong with a Christian celebrating Passover or any other Jewish holiday, although I myself don't do that.

I also agree with you, Mau, that the neo-Pagans I have known (primarily Wiccans) are very gentle and likable people who seem to worship nature. From a Christian perspective, it is worship of the Creation rather than the Creator, but they are very nice people to know. And I am fascinated by the deep roots of all our holidays, which in some way or another seem all to be tied to the agricultural calendar. Christian holidays in particular were deliberately modified to suit existing local customs because the early missionaries found it easier to introduce their message in that way.