The WORST thing you ever got in your Trick or Treat Bag

What do you do when you Trick or Treat?
Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Re: The WORST thing you ever got in your Trick or Treat Bag

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:16 pm

I will never understand how some one who calls himself a Christian would deliberatly scare a child like that. I can see handing out religious articles. ToTers who went to the St. Christina's Rectory would get a piece of candy and a scapular or a Rosary. But to give a small child a message that he was going to hell for all eternity? It makes me glad that all I got was an apple with a bite taken out of it.

Mike

Firefighter_Barbie
Master Reaper
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by Firefighter_Barbie » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:38 pm

Literally telling a child that they are going to hell for dressing up and getting candy is the worst thing imaginable! I don't understand some people...

When I used to go to church (christian) as a child, the sunday before halloween we would always do a halloween craft and get told a story of a pumpkin. One year the story was about a lonley pumpkin in a field and some farmer came along, and gave it a face and a loving home...that's a million precent better than "going to hell" pamflits...

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:53 pm

I agree. I, too amd and allways a devout Christian (Catholic) and the Catholic school I attended as a child had Halloween activities, which included a costume party for the cub scouts (pack 3617, St. Christinas) and other activities. We allways had Halloween based art projects, too.

The rectory and convent also gave out candy and religious articles, such as Rosary beads, holy cards and scapulars.

Mike

Alan Wake
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Alan Wake » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:57 pm

Firefighter_Barbie wrote:Literally telling a child that they are going to hell for dressing up and getting candy is the worst thing imaginable! I don't understand some people...

When I used to go to church (christian) as a child, the sunday before halloween we would always do a halloween craft and get told a story of a pumpkin. One year the story was about a lonley pumpkin in a field and some farmer came along, and gave it a face and a loving home...that's a million precent better than "going to hell" pamflits...
Every Halloween needs a good 'ol dose of radical religious propaganda. :mrgreen: (I've already had mine for this year. :roll: )

"But nightmares exist outside of logic, and there's little fun to be had in explanations; they're antithetical to the poetry of fear." - Stephen King

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Come to think of it, I also don't understand why some of these Christian Fundamentalists feel the need to shove their beliefs down everyone elses throat. Take John Hagae for instance. He whole hearted condems the Catholic Church, anyone with tatoos, piercings, guys who stay home and take care fo the kids while their wives go out and work "You call yourself a 'Mr. Mom,' God calls you a BUM" were his exact words. And anyone else who does not believe the same way he believes.

John Hagae is not the worst of them, either. There are some "Christian" groups who actualy condemn Christmas trees, Easer eggs, and any other custom that was supposedly based in peaganism.

Mike

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Mike i know exactly who you're talking about and he is definitely an extremist.. heck i'm southern baptist and i've never experienced anything quite like that guy hahaha but my mom raised me in a HALLOWEEN loved home :) she's awesome
Last night 'twas witching Hallowe'en
Dearest; an apple russet- brown
I pared, and thrice above my crown
Whirled the long skin; they watched in keen;
I flung it far; they laughed and cried me shame
Dearest, there lay the letter of your name!

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:21 pm

That's good, Adrien. Halloween was never either of my parents favorite holiday, but they both observed it, and my mom allways made sure we had plenty of jack o'lanterns to carve, something good for dinner, and plenty of Trick or Treat candy to hand out to the ToTers.

Mike

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:38 pm

i think if the parents are into it halloween could be just as fun as christmas with ANY family.. its important that the 'rents' are in on it too :)

Firefighter_Barbie
Master Reaper

Post by Firefighter_Barbie » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:59 pm

Thanksfully my parents have always been big into Halloween. Our whole entire house and property was COVERED in halloween stuff...it's pretty awesome :D

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:17 pm

My parents had their fun with Halloween by putting up some decorations and handing out candy to ToTers. My dad also had a 16mm silent pring of "Nosferatu" that he would show on Halloween, but niether of my parents were what you would call "Halloween fanatics." In fact, my oldest niece and I are the only real "Halloween fanatics" in my entire family. The rest of them allways can't wait until Christmas.

My parents also were not major horror movie fans, either. Their movie and tv viewing preferences were primarily cop shows, situation comedies and news programs. They often complained about my enthusials for shows like "Creature Features" and "Dark Shadows." I remember when the very first "Tales of the Crypt" was released to the theatres back in the early 70s (I think). I asked if I could be taken to that movie as one of my bday presents and they said "no." They figured it was bad enough that I watched so many horror shows on tv, they didn't need to pay hard-earned money on taking me to horror movies.

Mike

shanda
Halloween Master

Post by shanda » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:45 pm

Halloween can be better than Christmas because it is not about spending $$$ on useless items that will just be returned. No stress , no guilt, no debt ( well maybe some debt). Just FUN!!!

I am a Baptist. I love my church and my community. My preacher's wife asked me to oversee the church's decorating committee yesterday, because she loves my yard during Halloween!! I mean, How great is that???

You guys have great parents to enstill the love of Halloween as a kid!!
Snaps to them!!!
I am the shadow on the moon at night
Filling your dreams to the brim with fright,
Oggie Boogie

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:16 am

I do love christmas and halloween both :) the thing is is that we kinda sin more on Christmas than we do on halloween hahaha (gluttony, neglagence, greedy, heck most don't even worship our Lord on His day) hahaha we just don't realize it.. that's why it bothers me when most say Halloween is a BAD holiday

Firefighter_Barbie
Master Reaper

Post by Firefighter_Barbie » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:32 pm

adrian wrote:I do love christmas and halloween both :) the thing is is that we kinda sin more on Christmas than we do on halloween hahaha (gluttony, neglagence, greedy, heck most don't even worship our Lord on His day) hahaha we just don't realize it.. that's why it bothers me when most say Halloween is a BAD holiday
100% agreed!

DemonSlayerMau
Halloween Master

Post by DemonSlayerMau » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:17 pm

Well, neither of my parents are necessarily against Halloween, but my dad does think it's a bit childish. My grandparents are the ones who find the holiday distasteful.
But my mom likes Halloween. She used to take me trick or treating when I was little. It's also my stepfather's favorite holiday. Go figure. I swear my parents are like night and day.
There's nothing evil or satanic about Halloween unless you do something evil and satanic. Even then, it's not the day itself that's evil, it's what you're doing that's evil.
I'm of the belief that something is only evil if you make it that way.
This probably seems crazy, crazy, a graveyard theory,
A ghost tried to approach me and got leery.
Ask him a question and he vanished in a second...

~ From a Ghost's Pumpkin Soup (Pumpkin Hill zone theme Song from Sonic Adventure 2) ~

CrowFeathers
Ghost

Post by CrowFeathers » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:15 pm

I'd have to say the all-time worst thin i ever got in my TOT bag has to have been a persimmon. i was given it from an aisan woman who live in our neighborhood, my friends all got plums or pears but i got the persimmon. i wasn't sure what it even was at first it looked like a cross between a pumpkin and a tomato an it was too hard to even eat and it tasted really nasty
"the crows seem to be calling my name." thought Caw