What is happening to Halloween?

Discussion of general Halloween topics
iHaunt
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: What is happening to Halloween?

Post by iHaunt » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:43 pm

I really do like your post about Halloween history, TheHallow1. Good job! :D :cheers:

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:19 am

Spookymufu wrote:^^^ I'm with you on that Mike, 100%
Ditto

oboingo76
Vampire

Post by oboingo76 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:07 am

Pumpkin_Man wrote: I have absoultely no problem with anyone celebrating the holidays that celebrate their own culture. There's nothing wrong with the Jewish celebration of Hanukah, or the Muslem's celebration of Ramadon. I have no beef against passover or Kwanza or anything else. I also have no beef with Yule, Winter Solstice or any other Wiccan or Peagan celebration. Why do some of them get offended if I celebrate Christmas and Easter? Why is is such an insult to some of them if I go around saying "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Easter>" If they wished me a "Happy Yule" or "Happy Hanakuh," I wouldn't be offended at all.

That's where I have a problem. It's the being made to feel bad or even stupid because of my own culture, sort of like I'm some kind of a 'bigot' because I prefer to celebrate my own cultural holidays, and identify with my own cultural identity. I have as much right to that as anyone else, Christians have as much right to Christmas as all other groups have to their own religious holidays and observances. All I want is for that to be recognized.

Mike

Mike - that's exactly how I feel - you hit the nail on the head. It's ok though, I decorate my desk at work in a mega fashion and there are plenty of "Trick or Treat" and "Happy Halloween" signs included. Somehow they do allow that.
"I don't know what's in there, but it's weird and pissed off whatever it is".

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:53 pm

I don't bother doing any decorating at work at all, except for the desktop background on my computer screen. I have a few Halloween items that I put on the desk top on October as well as for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter.

I won't go along with the 'political correct' crowd, however and say "Happy Holidays," or "Happy Winter Holidays." I allways say "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Easter," because that's how I am. That's MY cultur. That's MY religion. That's who I am. If some one gets offended, too bad. Cultural diversity goes for ALL CULTURES.

Mike

TheHallow1
Haunt Master

Post by TheHallow1 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:53 pm

iHaunt wrote:I really do like your post about Halloween history, TheHallow1. Good job! :D :cheers:
Thank you.
Trick 'r Treat

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:32 am

[/b][/size][/color][/quote]

Mike - that's exactly how I feel - you hit the nail on the head. It's ok though, I decorate my desk at work in a mega fashion and there are plenty of "Trick or Treat" and "Happy Halloween" signs included. Somehow they do allow that.[/quote]

Me too.

I was lucky to get a job at a company that employs a lot of family people. For northern California it's a pretty conservative, old fashioned place.
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.