Some unknown horror movies?

Halloween and Horror Movies
Jack Skellington
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: Some unknown horror movies?

Post by Jack Skellington » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:38 pm

Pumpkin56 wrote:I always feel like spiders are crawling all over me when I watch Arachnophobia :)
I do too. I actually am afraid of Spiders. :oops: :|
Yours in haunting;

The Pumpkin King of Hallowe'en Town

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:37 am

Jack Skellington wrote:
Pumpkin56 wrote:I always feel like spiders are crawling all over me when I watch Arachnophobia :)
I'm a little creeped out by them. If I see one in the house, I do my best to trap it and release it outside. However, if it scares me or sneaks up on me, it's a dead spider. I'm not proud of that :oops:

Jack Skellington
Halloween Master

Post by Jack Skellington » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:49 pm

Pumpkin56 wrote:
Jack Skellington wrote:
I'm a little creeped out by them. If I see one in the house, I do my best to trap it and release it outside. However, if it scares me or sneaks up on me, it's a dead spider. I'm not proud of that :oops:
I get rid of them down the plug hole to a watery grave if I feel they're a threat! :wink:
Yours in haunting;

The Pumpkin King of Hallowe'en Town

jadewik
Halloween Master

Post by jadewik » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:16 pm

Anyone in the older crowd remember Poltergeist (1982)?

That movie was SOOOO creepy. I remember the scene with the clown and the tree in the big hole for a pool in the back yard... and something about a steak crawling across the counter. Wicked awesome.

Then they went and made a couple sequels...

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:23 pm

Oh, I wouldn't call Poltergeist an "unknown" horror movie. Maybe people don't talk about it so much nowadays, but it was a major hit and had two sequels, as you say. One of the stars was Craig T. Nelson, who has had a long career and is currently on TV in Parenthood.

There used to be talk of a Poltergeist curse because at least two of the young stars died untimely, the little girl through some weird disease, and the teenage girl because she was murdered by her boyfriend. She was the niece of a well-known author, Dominick Dunne. I think her name may have been Dominique Dunne.

I have Poltergeist on DVD but haven't watched it yet this year. Perhaps I will pull it out this afternoon.

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:27 pm

jadewik wrote:Anyone in the older crowd remember Poltergeist (1982)?

That movie was SOOOO creepy. I remember the scene with the clown and the tree in the big hole for a pool in the back yard... and something about a steak crawling across the counter. Wicked awesome.

Then they went and made a couple sequels...
I LOVE Poltergeist! I will say though that I always have to look away during the steak scene and immediately after when the guy hallucinates that he's ripping his own face off. Both just make me want to gag. I'll probably watch it again this week :D

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:31 pm

Murfreesboro wrote:Oh, I wouldn't call Poltergeist an "unknown" horror movie. Maybe people don't talk about it so much nowadays, but it was a major hit and had two sequels, as you say. One of the stars was Craig T. Nelson, who has had a long career and is currently on TV in Parenthood.

There used to be talk of a Poltergeist curse because at least two of the young stars died untimely, the little girl through some weird disease, and the teenage girl because she was murdered by her boyfriend. She was the niece of a well-known author, Dominick Dunne. I think her name may have been Dominique Dunne.

I have Poltergeist on DVD but haven't watched it yet this year. Perhaps I will pull it out this afternoon.
Her name was Dominique and she was Dominick's daughter :wink: AND she was Griffin Dunne's sister--he was in American Werewolf in London! I'm gonna have a Dunne horror movie-fest! :D

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:36 pm

Oh, wow, I just did a quick Google search, and it looks like you are correct! All these years I thought she was his niece. Apparently her uncle was also a novelist, and he was married to Joan Didion. So she was the niece of famous writers, too. I must have gotten mixed up about that way back when it happened. All these years I have thought she was his niece.

I love American Werewolf in London. I didn't know there was a connection there, either.

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:18 pm

Murfreesboro wrote:Oh, wow, I just did a quick Google search, and it looks like you are correct! All these years I thought she was his niece. Apparently her uncle was also a novelist, and he was married to Joan Didion. So she was the niece of famous writers, too. I must have gotten mixed up about that way back when it happened. All these years I have thought she was his niece.

I love American Werewolf in London. I didn't know there was a connection there, either.
Hey I had to do a google search too! I read your post and I was like, "no kidding? she was his niece? I always thought she was his daughter...is she related to Griffin or did I imagine that...?" :lol: Famous people are so tricky to keep straight

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:13 am

Well, I watched Poltergeist again yesterday afternoon. I had forgotten how good it is. I really like that it has a happy ending, sort of. I mean, at least the family is all together. I think I prefer it to Amityville Horror, which it somewhat resembles.

Then I saw Craig T. Nelson on Parenthood last night. Funny to see him then & now, within a few hours.

Another movie I like to pull out this time of year is Mary Reilly. I don't know that you could call that obscure--it stars Julia Roberts & John Malkovich--but I don't think it was a huge hit. I love its atmosphere and its unusual take on the Jeckyl & Hyde story. Plus, I just love John Malkovich in pretty near anything.

killem2
Zombie

Post by killem2 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:40 am

The Ninth Configuration.

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:14 am

Murfreesboro wrote:Well, I watched Poltergeist again yesterday afternoon. I had forgotten how good it is. I really like that it has a happy ending, sort of. I mean, at least the family is all together. I think I prefer it to Amityville Horror, which it somewhat resembles.

Then I saw Craig T. Nelson on Parenthood last night. Funny to see him then & now, within a few hours.

Another movie I like to pull out this time of year is Mary Reilly. I don't know that you could call that obscure--it stars Julia Roberts & John Malkovich--but I don't think it was a huge hit. I love its atmosphere and its unusual take on the Jeckyl & Hyde story. Plus, I just love John Malkovich in pretty near anything.
You mentioned seeing Craig T. Nelson then and now. I love comparing Alec Baldwin in Beetlejuice to how he looks now. He doesn't even look like the same person! :lol:

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:24 am

You're right, he looks extremely different now. By contrast, Craig T. Nelson, though aged, is still pretty much the same-looking guy.

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:10 pm

He was great in Coach.

I never missed an episode.
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:47 am

I loved Coach, too. I think he finally did win an Emmy for that role, did he not?