Halloween count down!!!

Discussion of general Halloween topics
Murfreesboro
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: Halloween count down!!!

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:55 am

Guy Fawkes Day must be fun. That is a completely English thing. I had never even heard of it until I was in college (although I did see references to it in nursery rhymes when I was younger--"A penny for the old guy"--but I never knew what that meant when I was little).

V for Vendetta is a good movie.

Around here, there is no set night for bonfires. We might have them anytime in October. My daughter went to three, I think: one for her church youth group in mid-month; one for her school's pep rally the night before their biggest football game; and one out at the corn maze last weekend, when her friends gave a party for the girl who was moving away.

Our neighbors lit their brazier on Halloween night, as they always do, and sat outside to give out the treats. My husband and I had talked about doing that, but in the event we didn't. We were running around too much on Halloween night for that.

We have fireworks mainly on the 4th of July, and sometimes at New Year's.

Jack Skellington
Halloween Master

Post by Jack Skellington » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:18 am

I haven't been to a proper display since I was in Scouts! I've been to a couple of friends/family garden displays, which have still been pretty great though! No-one really bothers with a 'Guy' nowadays. I haven't seen one in years!

I expect we'll see a few fireworks on the way home after watching 'Disney On Ice.'

I'm going to have a look on my SKY box before we leave to see if 'V for Vendetta' is on. If it is i'll record it.
Yours in haunting;

The Pumpkin King of Hallowe'en Town

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:54 am

A lot of people have been wearing Guy Fawkes masks here at the Occupy San Diego protests. So while it looks like Halloween is catching on over there, the Guy is making his strides here.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:49 am

That's funny about the Guy Fawkes masks. I have never even seen one for real. Maybe they get them on line?

I was thinking when I watched that movie again yesterday that "V" would make a great character for a Halloween costume.

I am on the conservative end of the political spectrum, so the "Occupy Whatever" protesters are not my folks. I am more of a Tea Partier myself. But it is interesting how people from both POVs are motivated to protest these days.

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:45 am

I'm like you Murf, I'm more of a Tea Party type, but the Occupy crowd kind of had a "mission" at first, now it's just a bunch of wannabees out there to party and destroy things, no real purpose now. Its become a reason/place to "hang out" and have a good time and party.....The Tea Party was as least focused, didnt destroy things, paid for their license for the protest grounds and "stayed the course"......
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:54 am

Murf, I've been seeing the Guy Fawkes masks at the Halloween stores for years. Probably since the movie came out.

As far as the political thing goes, yeah yeah, I know, no politics. I'll say my piece and let it lay.

I've been voting 3rd party and anti-incumbent since Ross Perot ran. Now I'm telling people, if you really want to change things, don't vote for the two main parties... executive, legislative, and judicial. Choose a third party candidate whose platform you agree with, you may not like everything they say but, as with any candidate, you have to take the bad with the good. If everyone does this the Republican and Democrat parties will lose their power, along with the people who back them.

I've been saying for a long time this country needs another revolution, I'd just rather see it done with ballots over bullets. Real change is coming, it has to, or this country is going to go the way of the Romans. My only problem this year is if Ron Paul makes the Republican ticket, I'll be in something of a pickle.

Our founding fathers didn't want political parties. They knew a few people can manipulate a party and the party can manipulate the people. But... by the time of Adams and Jefferson, parties had formed. Nice try.

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:50 pm

any one that gets into office no matter what party will eventually get corrupted. I would support term limits on all political offices....

And dont worry about Ron Paul getting the nomination, he's a loon....
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"