Nefarious Reviews

Halloween and Horror Movies
Nick Nefarious
Master Reaper
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: Nefarious Reviews

Post by Nick Nefarious » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:58 am

Alright folks, let's start the end of the Holiday off with some smack talkin'.

http://nicknefarious.wordpress.com/2010 ... -of-blood/

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:59 am

I think I'll pass on this one. Clive Barker stuff usually grosses me out.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:14 am

Oh, wow, Adrian, where have you been hiding? I remember you from way back when I first joined this forum, but I haven't seen you around in ages! Good to see you here!

Nick, I have An American Haunting in my collection. That story (the Bell Witch) is very famous in these parts, although no one really knows what happened, of course. I think it is a well-made movie and has a first-rate cast, but I do have some issues with the interpretation. The incest motif that is so strong in it is something I have never even wanted my daughter to see, especially not when she was younger. And I am unaware that anyone around here believes incest was a factor in the haunting.

Speaking of taboo subjects, does anyone here remember Eve's Bayou? I had that one on VHS. It is also very well made.

Nick Nefarious
Master Reaper

Post by Nick Nefarious » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:18 pm

You know what Murf? I had to look up that title and I do remember seeing the cover, and upon reading the synopsis I kinda' recall that flick, but for the life of me I don't remember it very well. Maybe I need to revisit that one. Good call.

As for the American Haunting incest deal, yeah, I too thought that was kind of an awkward addition to everything I've read about the incident. Artistic license at it's apex. :roll:

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:29 pm

Murfreesboro wrote:Oh, wow, Adrian, where have you been hiding? I remember you from way back when I first joined this forum, but I haven't seen you around in ages! Good to see you here!

Nick, I have An American Haunting in my collection. That story (the Bell Witch) is very famous in these parts, although no one really knows what happened, of course. I think it is a well-made movie and has a first-rate cast, but I do have some issues with the interpretation. The incest motif that is so strong in it is something I have never even wanted my daughter to see, especially not when she was younger. And I am unaware that anyone around here believes incest was a factor in the haunting.

Speaking of taboo subjects, does anyone here remember Eve's Bayou? I had that one on VHS. It is also very well made.
I remember Eve's Bayou. I love that movie :)

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:24 am

Yeah, Eve's Bayou is awesome. I don't know if it's available on DVD.

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:34 am

Murfreesboro wrote:Yeah, Eve's Bayou is awesome. I don't know if it's available on DVD.
It is indeed, Murf. Just looked at Amazon and it can be bought for as little as $3.31 for a used copy :)

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:23 pm

Good info!

Nick Nefarious
Master Reaper

Post by Nick Nefarious » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:04 pm

Or you can watch it for free right here :wink:

http://www.solarmovie.eu/watch-eve-s-bayou-1997.html

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:45 pm

Nick Nefarious wrote:Or you can watch it for free right here :wink:

http://www.solarmovie.eu/watch-eve-s-bayou-1997.html
Nick is full of useful and good information 8)

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:26 am

Thanks, Nick!

BTW, I can't find the thread where you gave us the link to The Halloween Tree, but I watched it this morning. I had never seen it before, didn't know the story. It was fun. But the music kept reminding me of Harry Potter, so I looked up who did it. Someone named Debney did Halloween Tree in '93, but John Williams is credited with the main Harry Potter theme a few years later. I have to wonder if Williams was familiar with The Halloween Tree, because it is sure close. . . .

I think I've caught Williams "plagiarizing" before (Star Wars & E.T. are practically the same theme, only with the intervals reversed). However, as Williams wrote both of those, if he deliberately plagiarized, he stole from himself. My husband and I have laughed for years about how he won two separate Oscars, essentially for the same piece of music.

ETA:; Now that I think of it, maybe the Halloween Tree link came from Nevermore? Sorry if I miscredited the link. I just can't find that thread right now.

Nick Nefarious
Master Reaper

Post by Nick Nefarious » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:26 pm

That is so funny that you mentioned that about John Williams. I was just having a conversation with a friend about the Potter score and I had said that there are elements that remind me of scores of the Jawa scenes in Star Wars. My friend suggested that I listen to William's score for Indiana Jones and that there are a lot of similarities to Star Wars there as well. I think you are dead on with this one.

Nick Nefarious
Master Reaper

Post by Nick Nefarious » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:59 pm

Let's get a little ahead of the 5 day workweek and take a look at 5ive Girls.

http://nicknefarious.wordpress.com/2010 ... ive-girls/

Nick Nefarious
Master Reaper

Post by Nick Nefarious » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:01 pm

Here you go, folks. Line up your weekend dance card early with a review of an 80's classic.
http://nicknefarious.wordpress.com/2012 ... -the-gate/

Nick Nefarious
Master Reaper

Post by Nick Nefarious » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:48 am

Unfortunately the weekend is over, folks. Without overreaching, what better way can you think of to kick Monday into overdrive than with an overall review from the Overlord of opinions?
http://nicknefarious.wordpress.com/2012 ... 9-waxwork/