Gardening

Non-Halloween related stuff. Same rules: family oriented, no flaming, be nice. ;-)
DemonSlayerMau
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Re: Gardening

Post by DemonSlayerMau » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:37 pm

I'm starting to get some little baby pumpkins. I hope these turn out this year. These particular pumpkin plants that I bought from the farm market have taken over the garden, but to say the least the other ones I planted before didn't do so well because of the weeds. They're still there though, but I don't know if anything will grow out of them or not.
I've never seen pumpkin plants this huge though. I'm just hoping that they'll end up producing pumpkins. Even if they're tiny, at least I can say I grew them. Well, not from a seed, but from the tiny plants I bought at the farm market. But still.
This probably seems crazy, crazy, a graveyard theory,
A ghost tried to approach me and got leery.
Ask him a question and he vanished in a second...

~ From a Ghost's Pumpkin Soup (Pumpkin Hill zone theme Song from Sonic Adventure 2) ~

MauEvig
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by MauEvig » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:53 pm

I'm thinking about starting some plants early on so they can get a head start, but I'm going to need a growing lamp. I want to grow bird-house gourds and those little white pumpkins. Maybe a few other things. I just hope the seeds will germinate. We bought them last year, however like my story with the Easter Egg dying, I never got around to planting them.
Where can I find a growing lamp cheap, and maybe some cheap gardening tools? I can't afford to go too expensive. The Gourds I want to turn into bird houses, assuming they will grow, and become part of my "Box of Art Creations" stuff. The Pumpkins will be for Halloween of course, and I plan to share with the neighbor's two boys assuming I get enough of a crop.
I have some flower seeds I'd like to use, and put a flower bed around the house at some point. Those seeds are even older. lol.
And then there's that Christmas Cactus I got for Christmas. If it doesn't keel over on me. :lol: I keep it high up enough where the cats can't get to it. I'm sure they might find a way eventually though consider they're skilled enough climbers.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:50 pm

I've managed to keep 3 plants alive for 2 months, which is a record for me. :)
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:05 am

I like to plant things, although I'm not very good at it. I'd say just have fun with it, and don't be too disappointed if you have some failures, because that seems to be part of the experience. Go ahead and try with your older seeds. Seeds can last a long time.

Do you have to get a sun lamp? Couldn't you find a sunny window and cover your seedlings in plastic or something to warm them up?

witchy
Halloween Master

Post by witchy » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:23 am

I don't have good luck gardening, the damm things need to be watered every day here, and the critters, don't get me started on them, I truly wish I could use them in my potions some days. :roll: :lol:

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:31 pm

I probably could...but this does present a small problem. One the cats love the window sills, and two I'm not sure if we have the room for it. We have room in the basement, but it's dark down there. Maybe the basement windows? I don't know. I just want to find ways to make the planting more successful and start as early as possible. With a growing lamp, I think I can get a head start.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:32 pm

Andybev01 wrote:I've managed to keep 3 plants alive for 2 months, which is a record for me. :)
you sound like my wife Andy, she has a brown thumb
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:00 pm

I always tell people that if you want something to die, let me take care of it.
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:23 pm

Well the garden is under way! Let's see how things turn out.

I planted pumpkins, corn, squash, watermelons, cucumbers, beans, peas, onions, and got some tomato plants pre-planted. We teamed up with the neighbors to make a garden; though I didn't plant the tomatoes I did plant the rest of the seeds. I bought the plants though. :lol: Also planted gourds. Squash include zucchini and I believe acorn (and the pumpkins since technically they are part of the squash family.)

I'll be happy if something survives; thankfully we seem to be getting some decent rain so I don't have to water it. I've been too busy to do much with it.

If the Pumpkins turn out, I'll post pictures. I promised the neighbor kids next door they could each pick one out for Halloween.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:18 am

I was just looking through our old thread on growing pumpkins and see I planted my pumpkins about this time of year. Unfortunately, they ripened a couple months early so I think I may wait to the end of this month. I'm not going to be able to supply as much water so I'm wondering if they'll grow slower, or if it will even work.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:56 am

You won't know unless you try! You could always experiment perhaps depending on how many seeds you have. If you divide them up and plant some now, and some a bit later, maybe you'll get good results.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:23 am

I have several tomato plants that have been in the ground since Mother's Day weekend. They are all bearing fruit, but it will be some time before they ripen. Also a couple of pepper plants and one basil with the tomatoes. In another part of the yard I am thinking of putting in an herb garden. I have several herbs in pots lined up in the area where I think I want to plant them.

Last fall I failed to carve one pumpkin before it got soft, so I put it in my backyard beside a clothes line post. By this spring, there was nothing left of it except the stem and lots of seeds. When I was planting the tomatoes, I threw some potting soil on the seeds and watered them. Now I have pumpkin vines sprouting like crazy! No blossoms yet, though.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:31 am

Sounds like the circle of life has continued for that pumpkin! Hopefully something good will come of it.

We have little sprouts but no vines yet. Then again i was told to plant them in May; must be the growing season isn't too different than New York then.

I'm not sure what I'd do with a bunch of herbs, I usually just by dried herbs for cooking at the store. :lol:

The only thing I didn't get was peppers, but that's OK.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:01 am

Oh, I just love herbs. I lust love to smell them in the garden, you know? And mint is good for repelling mosquitoes. I grow several pots of it because it is so invasive if you plant it in the ground. The ones I am thinking of planting in the ground are rosemary, sage, and two different types of thyme.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:37 am

I didn't think of mint! I remember it would grow wild in New York state. Interesting. If it repels mosquitoes I wouldn't mind having some in my own yard. :lol:

What about catnip? I'm sure my cats would like that.

We have a small flower garden as well, but I don't think anything is going to come of it. Some flowers in a couple pot have sprouted, we'll see if anything comes of it. I did plant some seeds, and I did plant a couple sun flowers, but I am not sure if what sprung up is weeds, or flowers. I guess we'll see. :lol:
Nocturnal Purr-Fection