Halloween Night heads up alert

Discussion of general Halloween topics
thislazylife
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by thislazylife » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:53 pm

I have the solution: MOVE!
Laurie stares at the station wagon as it moves past. She looks directly at The Shape inside. There is a quick glimpse of him, a strange pale face staring back.

thislazylife
Haunt Master

Post by thislazylife » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:00 pm

Oh, and this is EXACTLY why I made the "Save Halloween" T-shirts. All this curfew-setting and fear-mongering and worry-warting is all just a product of right-wing Christian fanaticism. I'm sorry if I offend any Christians on the board (though if you're here, you probably agree with me), but Halloween is no more dangerous a night than Christmas Eve. Anything you hear different is propaganda. Just my 2 cents.
Laurie stares at the station wagon as it moves past. She looks directly at The Shape inside. There is a quick glimpse of him, a strange pale face staring back.

LawP
Haunt Master

Post by LawP » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:20 pm

You are absolutely right thislazylife! And...I shall wear my "Save Halloween" shirt with pride throughout the month. I know some people who won't give out candy because they think Halloween is Satan's birthday. :x :roll: These same people are so immersed in the moral extremist camp that they barely function in society. I thought the point of placing human beings on earth was to make your own choices and enjoy the life you were given - instead of shunning the world so you can enjoy sitting on a cloud when you die. Go figure. Sorry for the rant but you really ignited my Ihateignorantpeople flame. :oops: :shock:
Don't drink and fly...

Larissa
Master Reaper

Post by Larissa » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:47 am

Geez, I hope my town has the same curfew as last year, which turned out to be 9 p.m. I don't think we had a set start time - I just raced home, got changed into costume, and headed for the front porch. I had no idea that there was a curfew, let alone what time it was, but figured it out when I saw the cops patrolling at 9. Of course, at first we thought they were coming up the street trying to figure out where the fire was - my fog machines were sending fog rolling for BLOCKS down the street! LOL

You know, while I hate curfews, I do get it to some extent. There's the kids' safety issue, but I think it's also to help homeowners. I know that after a certain hour when it was the high school kids out, my mom would get nervous about hords of big teens approaching the house 'til late into the night, expecting the door to be answered. She'd turn off the lights & pretend not to be home after that.

As for me - I was hanging out on the porch (no ringing of my bell necessary) with my then-boyfriend & my roommate, handing out candy to ANYONE who approached, no matter how old. And I stayed out even after the cops came around, just to be there for any stragglers.
Act well your part; there all the honour lies.
~Anonymous

HalloweenGeneral
Crypt Keeper

Post by HalloweenGeneral » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:01 pm

Welcome aboard drew, sorry about your curfew. I live in a more rural community so we really dont have a curfew and as long as people are ready to stay up late they will. we all love halloween and It sucks for people to be telling us at what times we get to enjoy it publicly, If I tried to enjoy it publicly anytime else people would find me knocked out in the woods somewhere with my wallet gone and the word FREAK written across my forhead...Thank god for this forum.

FIGHT THE POWER, BOYCOTT CURFEWS!
Nowhere more peacefull than a forest filled with the smell of Autumn and the spirit of Halloween.~Austin Davidson

I B Howlin' Wolfman
Halloween Master

Post by I B Howlin' Wolfman » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:41 pm

Are the authorities shroomin'?

I really have to wonder about that curfew thing. I doubt that it will be enforcable. It's like having your own fireworks for the 4th. of July. It's IMPOSSIBLE, when EVERYONE'S doing it.

Please, Whatertheygonnado?

Round up all the ToT's, put them in a cell, and call their mommy & daddy? Anyway, if the kids are accompanied by an adult, then they can stay out later. It's mostly for kids who are alone and most "vulnerable". And the older ones who want to vandalize the world.

I'd keep the haunt open. Parent's will accompany their kids. It might be an early night, but my guess it'll play out a bit longer than 9PM. :wink:
-26 Days }'-{1}
My website Link ^

Larissa
Master Reaper

Post by Larissa » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:14 pm

It's not impossible at all. In a smaller town, they just send out all the officers to drive around. Officers tell kids to go home. Most kids won't argue. The ones than do are the only ones who would get hauled in.
~Anonymous

Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:03 pm

Reading all these posts, wow, unreal :cry: Is this curfew in every state in the USA? So much for Freedom, heck, do they have a curfew for the State Christmas Parties also? Lets see here, how many people actually get killed on a Halloween night from Evil Doers or say FireCrackers? VS How many people get killed every year at Christmas from Drunk Drivers, Domestic Assaults induced by Alcohol, stress and Depression & Suicides are high at that time of year, hmmmm, now what is their logical reason for putting a curfew on Halloween? what some freak is maybe out prowling for Children, but don't you think these same freaks are doing this year round? So now, if they know there are more RCMP "Cops" out on Halloween, do you think "maybe" the odds of them prowling are truly actually higher during the rest of the year, and as far as the other possible offences go, there's better parent control, Youth Activities for the older kids " And Something Designed with their imput, so they would actually attend cause they enjoy it", there's plenty of ways to limit the problems. that way they could allow the decent folk to enjoy longer Halloween hours, and since they would cut down the number of problems by creating solutions, those who are hell bent on causing problems would not only be fewer, but there would be plently of officers out to watch for them, instead of wasting their hours patrolling the streets ruining the fun for those who aren't causing it to begin with.
Too Many Rules and Regulations can actually make a small problem worse as you have to start to realize that the good folk will start to feel smothered and start to rebel,ug!
I " Personally" am more concerned at this time of year with making sure pet stores and any animal adoption centers are remembering to put out their notices about no adoptions or purchases,( "unless these centers have a longstanding relationship with a client") on all Feline, and Canine From the second week of October until the end of the First week of NOvember. This is not to say people can't do up adoption paperwork and finalize the process or pick out their new loved one, they just have to wait to bring it home, and if they truly "want this new family member" and don't mean it any harm then any animal lover would understand and respect the reasons for this. I also volunteer in working to educate public awareness for the humane reasons for keeping your feline and canine family members inside due to the overstimulating noices, increased traffic, increased number of people, dangers of fireworks (" Although these have just become Illegal in my City over the past few years") needless to say, yes we still get them, so much for rules eh. Also, I work with doing the same with people who have larger animals as well such as cattle and horses, the list really is endless.
Wow, am I ever rambling, ok, enough :oops:

Larissa
Master Reaper

Post by Larissa » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:26 pm

I seriously think the curfews aren't about any real safety issues. I think it's just the legilsators way of giving the cops less paperwork. With a curfew, there's less time for pranksters to do their thing. And homeowners who have an earlier bedtime won't be annoyed by the ringing bell 'til all hours. And kids can be home getting their homework done. You know, all that invasive <deleted> like that. The stuff that crotchety 80-year-olds will appreciate.
~Anonymous

LawP
Haunt Master

Post by LawP » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:40 pm

As the parent of a 17 year old boy and 14 year old girl, I have to ask why the legislators have to parent the community's children. I make it my business to know where my kids are at every moment (trust has to be a part of that equation), especially on Halloween night. They know that if a light is out they are to leave the doorbell alone. Any mischief is usually confined to their own friends' homes and isn't vandalism...maybe toilet papered trees, stuff like that. My light goes out by 8:30 pm and I've never had a problem with late night TOTers. And, my teens are home by 9:00 pm unless they're with me or another adult. Of course, if everyone used common sense we wouldn't be having this conversation. :roll:
Don't drink and fly...

thislazylife
Haunt Master

Post by thislazylife » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:42 pm

I bet it's strange for the folks on this board who are from points outside the U.S. to read about curfews being set in our cities. Yes, we have some freedom. But I feel we have more ridiculous laws. Even more so as of late.

Okay. New grand total: 4 cents.

Larissa
Master Reaper

Post by Larissa » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:05 pm

LawP, unfortunately, not all parents are as good & vigilant as you are. Mine were, so I was raised like your kids & had/have similar values. As you know, "common sense" is all too uncommon, though.

LazyLife, I couldn't agree with you more.
~Anonymous

LawP
Haunt Master

Post by LawP » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:11 pm

This country is starting to get a bit ridiculous - cold medicines behind bullet proof glass, shoelace inspections at airports, etc. Unfortunately, necessity is the mother of invention and I can see why we have to create some of these rules/laws. :evil:
Don't drink and fly...

Larissa
Master Reaper

Post by Larissa » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:59 pm

Oh, don't get me started on how hard it is to get a decent box of Sudafed! You don't know how I want to kick the *sses of all those meth-makers. Twits.
~Anonymous

HalloweenGeneral
Crypt Keeper

Post by HalloweenGeneral » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:19 pm

We dont have a curfew, but we do have cops. The cops just keep people from vandalizing the graveyard and kicking over head stones and I respect that. They try to keep us from rolling but that aint never gonna happen. :lol:
Nowhere more peacefull than a forest filled with the smell of Autumn and the spirit of Halloween.~Austin Davidson