Pumpkin prices....

Discussion of general Halloween topics
One Eye'd Jack

Pumpkin prices....

Post by One Eye'd Jack » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:52 am

What's the going rate for pumpkins in your neighborhood?
I haven't really had the chance to go out and do the PUMPKIN HUNT yet, but at my store we're selling them 2 for $12. Is this good. Seems a little HIGH to me.

What are they going for in your neck of the woods?

Stranger with candy
Master Reaper
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Stranger with candy » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:37 am

I saw pretty good sized ones in Wal-Mart a couple days ago for 3.29, which seems cheap. I hear they're going to be pricey this year.

angel222
Haunt Master

Post by angel222 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:22 am

At stater bros where I work the pumpkins are 39 cents a lb.
hello

tomanderson
Halloween Master

Post by tomanderson » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:20 am

Yes, what I heard is this: If ya want pumpkins, get the good ones now.

There are not a lot of pumpkins and the good ones will sell first.

The quality of available pumpkins will decline as the month goes on because the pumpkin crop this year is unusually small. This also was true last year.

mandy0221
Halloween Master

Post by mandy0221 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:25 am

OEJ - The pumpkins around us go for pretty much the same yours do. $2.00 for the gords and $5.00 and $15.00 for large pumpkins. I think it is SUPER pricey. That is why I drive up to the pumpkin patch, pick my own and only pay like $4.00 for a GIANT pumpkin. Plus then it is more fun.

I am not sure why they have been so expensive but they are always that way around here.
"Drink up me 'earties Yo Ho. Yo Ho Yo Ho a pirates life for me!"

Catzilla
Haunt Master

Post by Catzilla » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:48 am

Gotta get me at least 2 pretty soon. :)

tantraman
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by tantraman » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:21 am

i usually just go to a patch and get like 5 for 10.00
happy happy halloween silver shamrock.

Please check out our new horror movie blog check our the first post on our new horror movie blog https://horrormoviehallofflames.wordpress.com/

Laurie Strode

Post by Laurie Strode » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:28 am

OH, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! I haven't heard about this pumpkin shortage!! And here I have been wasting all this time when I could've snatched them up at Walmart ( I usually wait for a local church to open their pumpkin patch).....oh no, I'm panicking!! Walmart, here I come! This morning!!!

EvilMel
Haunt Master

Post by EvilMel » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:19 am

Best way to get good HUGE ones is to go to Wal-mart and start digging into the bottom of those bins for them. No one ever wants to dig around, so all the really nicely shaped, huge ones are down there.

I've done it for years.

I think 2 for $12 sounds like a fine price to me. When I'm not buying them at someplace like Wal-Mart I expect to pay a bit more. I try every year to spread it around and not buy them all from Wal-mart. I go to my local farmer's market and get a couple, then get one or two from a local nursery. I buy so many that I can spread around the money I spend on pumpkins. I usually end up with around 15 or so, nearly all of which I carve.

This year I had to move outta my house and have no place to put one. I decided to carve some anyways and just go sneak them onto the front porches of my friends. They will know who did it anyways (because everyone I know has seen my pumpkins before), but it will be a fun Halloween "trick-or-treat" of my own.
Halloweiner Extraordinaire.

jadewik
Halloween Master

Post by jadewik » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:41 am

I pay a little more for my p-kins, but I pick them straight from the vine at Apple Annie's in Wilcox, AZ.... so around $6-8 for the p-kins and $2 for the hay-ride to the field depending on if I have my old roommate with me or not... her mom works at the farm and they all know her. =)

I like picking straight from the vine-- they're less damaged that way.

However, I do usually pick up p-kins at Albertson's-- they always have a large selection and I can usually find a couple p-kins that are the right size and have good carving faces... I dunno about price. I usually just look for variety :D

Cadaverino
Haunt Master

Post by Cadaverino » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:14 pm

The supermarket has four different sizes of pumpkins. The smallest are $3.00, the largest are $6.00. I bought two of the $5 and one of the $4. I'm going to do a papa, mama, and baby group of jack-o'-lanterns.

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:48 pm

There was an article in the local paper today that said that the farmers in our area were fortunate and had rain when it was needed, so our local crop is good, with prices anywhere from $3-6 a piece, good sized ones. the "fancy" pumpkins, Cinderella, Turkish, etc,) can be a little more, but not bad. I got a whole bagful of little mini pumpkins for 50 cents a piece at a local nursery. They are so cute!!
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus

I B Howlin' Wolfman
Halloween Master

Post by I B Howlin' Wolfman » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:56 pm

Grocery stores are pricing pumpkins about $3.00 around here.

I don't think I want to carve one though. Their pretty small. Mostly decorations as far as I'm concerned. Only about the size of a bowling ball.

Anything larger and you'll be going into the $10 to $15 range.
-26 Days }'-{1}
My website Link ^

Nostalgiascape
Halloween Master

Post by Nostalgiascape » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:04 pm

If you live in the country, I say fence off a section, put up chicken wire, and grow your own pumpkin patch
The dark night beckons. Bear us your soul, it whispers. Expose your wicked delights. Join the rest of us on the wind. The dark night beckons and we answer. Sailing into the shadows.

magickbean
Halloween Master

Post by magickbean » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:36 pm

Pumpkins are approximately £2.99 ($5.99) here :(