What started my love of Halloween

Discussion of general Halloween topics
Rising Dead Man
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

What started my love of Halloween

Post by Rising Dead Man » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:34 pm

I loved Halloween ever since I was little. I loved the warm feeling the Halloween lights gave me when I went trick or treating. I loved the smell of the flickering jack o lanterns and the rubber masks. I did not like trick or treating for the candy I loved it for the fun. I liked having the candy after Halloween though. I loved the warm feeling I had when we came home after trick or treating and we watched a little tv and ate some candy. I liked the scary Halloween and the cute Halloween I loved everything Halloween. Over the years my love for Halloween increased. Soon I did not like the cute freindly Halloween anymore I only liked the scary morbid and gory stuff. Soon I did not just like Halloween I liked anything scary and horror. I love this wonderful holiday all year to this day I love it better then any other time of the year. :D I am getting tired of it though but I just can not stop thinking about it. People must think i'm weird :lol:
Halloween wraps fear in innocence,
As though it were a slightly sour sweet.
Let terror, then, be turned into a treat...
~Nicholas Gordon

Haunt Master

Re: What started my love of Halloween

Post by Haunt Master » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:09 pm

I love Halloween since I was kid, too! ;) I love candies! I love punch drinks! I love JOLs! I love the smell of witch's brew! Even, I love my mummies! :lol:

SpookShowBaby
Haunt Master

Post by SpookShowBaby » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:44 am

I can remember being excited to dress up as early as kindergarten, it wasn't even about the candy! For me it is also a love of the dark and creepy as well as the crisp air and the feeling you get around Halloween time. :)
“Come let us meet, with charm and spell, by magic arts our fates to tell.”

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:21 pm

I'd have to say Jack-O-Lanterns and ghosts.

I've always been intrigued by spirits.
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

OctoberChill
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by OctoberChill » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:03 am

I honestly don't know where the Halloween obsession came from. It seems the older I got the more I got into it.

I was into it as a kid of course too though. There's nothing like carving that first pumpkin of the year. The smell of it is like a drug 8) The costumes, the candy, the decor, everything about it just makes me happy.

A big part of it for me I think is that it signals the beginning of the colder temps and the holidays. From the beginning of October through New Years day is my favorite time of year. So when Halloween is on it's way I naturally get excited for the coming months as well.

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:23 pm

OctoberChill wrote:I honestly don't know where the Halloween obsession came from. It seems the older I got the more I got into it.

I was into it as a kid of course too though. There's nothing like carving that first pumpkin of the year. The smell of it is like a drug 8) The costumes, the candy, the decor, everything about it just makes me happy.

A big part of it for me I think is that it signals the beginning of the colder temps and the holidays. From the beginning of October through New Years day is my favorite time of year. So when Halloween is on it's way I naturally get excited for the coming months as well.
and then BAM, it's winter and the blah's set in.

I was one of the crazy kids who loved going to school, so Autumn also meant school was in!!!

Rising Dead Man
Halloween Master

Post by Rising Dead Man » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:51 pm

I used to think Halloween was just when the stores put out costumes and decorations. People bought them. Then on the 31st people when trick or treating and watched horror movies and told ghost stories and had haunted houses and parties and then it was all over and everyone forgot about it the rest of the year. That is what Halloween is. But I thought that was only what it was. But when I started looking it up on the internet I found out that there is much more to it than I thought. There are a lot of websites and online stores that sell Halloween and horror stuff al year. There are people who love Halloween all year and there are Halloween and horror forums. And there is all kinds of Halloween stuff out there that I bet a lot of people don't know about! :shock: I am still getting used to the fact that Halloween is so huge. I thought it was just a holiday but it is so much more then that.
~Nicholas Gordon

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:41 pm

From what I understand it's not such a big deal in Europe, mainly North America.

Ghost
Master Reaper

Post by Ghost » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:49 pm

I personally think that's great. I wish I had an experiance like that that gave me the love for Halloween. For me it runs in the Family. My father got hooked on it and passed it on to me. I'm glad your happiness was given to you through wonderful experiances throughout the years. :D

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:39 pm

Ghost wrote:I personally think that's great. I wish I had an experiance like that that gave me the love for Halloween. For me it runs in the Family. My father got hooked on it and passed it on to me. I'm glad your happiness was given to you through wonderful experiances throughout the years. :D
I think you probably did, only one small experience at a time instead of all at once.

One of my best memories about growing up was in the Fall our mother would get out a big box of craft supplies and all of us kids (and mom) would spend a Saturday making Halloween cut-outs for the windows and other spooky decorations. I wish I had some of those now.

*sigh*

jadewik
Halloween Master

Post by jadewik » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:47 pm

My love of Halloween spawned from my love of the macabre and carving pumpkins. I've always enjoyed stories of werewolves and vampires (zombies?... not so much). I didn't really get into the holiday 'till I started making my own pumpkin carving patterns. It grew into a yearly tradition to make a new one every year. Then, when I got to college and lived in the dorms, I couldn't go trick-or-treating, so I did reverse trick-or-treating instead. Now, Halloween has evolved into a year-round excitement as I plan for the next year's big adventure!

So, it wasn't this one defining moment where I was inspired to love the holiday; it was something that developed over time.

... and to think, my dad HATES Halloween!

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:08 pm

Is "reverse-trick-or-treating" when you take candy away from little kids? :wink:

Endora
Zombie

Post by Endora » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:31 pm

Reverse trick or treating - as a parent it was my duty to help eat the candy, you know, protect my children's teeth, and all :wink:
It is said that if you hear someone's footsteps behind you on the Halloween night, you should not turn back because it may be a dead following you. And if you commit the mistake of looking back, it is likely that you might join the dead very soon.

jadewik
Halloween Master

Post by jadewik » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:18 pm

Andybev01 wrote:Is "reverse-trick-or-treating" when you take candy away from little kids? :wink:
That's a variation, but not the way I do it. =P
I would go door-to-door giving candy away.

Rising Dead Man
Halloween Master

Post by Rising Dead Man » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:02 pm

Why did you do that?
~Nicholas Gordon