History about Witches

Discussion of general Halloween topics
Haunt Master

History about Witches

Post by Haunt Master » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:53 pm

Witches have had a long history with Halloween. Legends tell of witches gathering twice a year when the seasons changed, on April 30 - the eve of May Day and the other was on the eve of October 31 - All Hallow's Eve.

The witches would gather on these nights, arriving on broomsticks, to celebrate a party with the Devil. Superstitions told of witches casting spells on unsuspecting people, transform themselves into different forms and causing other magical mischief.

It was said that to meet a witch you had to put your clothes on wrong side and you had to walk backwards on Halloween night. Then at midnight you would see a witch.

When the early settlers came to America, they brought along their belief in witches. In American the legends of witches spread and mixed with the beliefs of others, the Native Americans - who also believed in witches, and then later with the black magic beliefs of the African slaves.

The black cat has long been associated with witches. Many superstitions have evolved about cats. It was believed that witches could change into cats. Some people believed that cats were the spirits of the dead.

One of the best known superstitions is that of the black cat. If a black cat was to cross your path you would have to turn around and go back because many people believe if you continued back bad luck would strike you.

So, is this very interesting story??

OctoberChill
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: History about Witches

Post by OctoberChill » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:22 pm

Great post Grim.

Witches have always fascinated me. Both the mythological witch and modern day witchcraft. To me the green faced pointy hat witch is THE icon of Halloween.

Witchcraft is very prominent in Mexican culture. My best friend of 14 years and my wife are both of Mexican descent. Even though they were born in the U.S. their familes both have rather interesting stories about things they've encountered in Mexico. Have any of you seen the video of the supposed flying witch over Mexico? It may be fake but it's pretty interesting to say the least :) I can try to find a link.

cwolfe83
Master Reaper

Post by cwolfe83 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:55 am

I think I've seen that video of the witch flying over Mexico. Do they believe in witches in Mexico?

Fezzek
Zombie
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Fezzek » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:56 pm

Great story; found a link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG6x3_Ua ... re=related
You can Keep your happy little elves, fat guys in red suits, and little spring rabbits. It's HALLOWEEN all the way for me!

california ghoul
Master Reaper
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by california ghoul » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:29 pm

It's cool how ideas and stories from different cultures helped form what we think of witches today.
I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin. - Linus