How do you extend the Halloween season?

Discussion of general Halloween topics
WitchyMama
Crypt Keeper
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: How do you extend the Halloween season?

Post by WitchyMama » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:23 pm

I start thinking about what I want to do end of August, now in other words lol. Then i begin gathering supplies. Got a limited budget so it affords me time to find coupons and great deals at thrift shops. I hold off until after my middle daughters bday which is 9-15. Then we start making crafts to put out. This year we are making shrunken heads out of white gourds and raffia, a black rose wreath, a Thing In A Jar, and some eyeball and witch ornaments. By last week of September I start pulling up the deco from the basement. Oct 1, we start decorating inside. Then I focus on planning for my party (this year it's Oct 24th). We will carve pumpkins about a day or two before our party, we usually have 4 or 5 pumpkins. Then morning of party I start putting out my graveyard, have to watch the dog, lest she eat them. We are also redoing our mummy that our dog DID eat last year, she will go out right before party starts, then stay indoors after party until Halloween night. All this time we watch anything on tv geared to the holidays or we pop in spooky movies. We also work out our costumes. I try to make it one big month long celebration with the kids...it sucks to only have one day of fun, why not 31?

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:35 pm

WitchyMama wrote:I try to make it one big month long celebration with the kids...it sucks to only have one day of fun, why not 31?
Hey... at least TV stations have started doing that '13 Days of Halloween' thing. Though I'd much prefer 666 Days of Halloween. All year long, if I have the TV on, there's something spooky on. I'm not usually a big TV watcher.

• [list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list]Image
[/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:36 pm

i'm not a big tv person either... but i do stay glued to it as i'm going to sleep.. that George Lopez is just so funny to me haha
Last night 'twas witching Hallowe'en
Dearest; an apple russet- brown
I pared, and thrice above my crown
Whirled the long skin; they watched in keen;
I flung it far; they laughed and cried me shame
Dearest, there lay the letter of your name!

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:53 pm

adrian wrote:i'm not a big tv person either... but i do stay glued to it as i'm going to sleep.. that George Lopez is just so funny to me haha
Speaking of which... well this is a whole other topic... viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5299

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:05 pm

yea we did veer off a bit lol

but back on topic.. one thing i do as well through out the year is search for antique halloween decor through shops, markets, and yard sales.. its a lot of fun going places and finding things.. even local fairs (arts and crafts mainly) have some pretty fun stuff to purchase. down here a big one is the Cotton Pickin' Fair where all sorts of artists set up booths to sell things they've made (some really creative halloween stuff there) there's music, food, all sorts of things

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:30 am

I have at least two trips to Bachelors Grove planned for October, as well as one trip to the Haunted Insane Asylum in Peoria, and a Halloween bonfire & barbecue. Horror movies are going to be a regular occuring event in my house, and the decorations are going up on the 28th of September.

Mike

CannibalsOnCannabis
Crypt Keeper

Post by CannibalsOnCannabis » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:41 pm

I have managed to completely ignore the term "Halloween season" and have in fact created for myself an impregnable Halloween-bubble in which I live 365 days a year. I do this, you see, by listening to Monster Mash and Sounds from the Crypt (my favorite Hallow-themed sound effect CD) all year long, as well as scouring the internet every day for all things macabre. Aside from that, I make a point of keeping at least a fair amount of decorations up indoors all year, and read tons of horror novels by guys like King and Bradbury and Laymon and Little, and of course have some sort of horror film ready in the DVD player at all times.
And just lately, I've been coming here, and that helps a lot.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:06 pm

Well, I do n't keep decorations up all year around, but I do have a Halloween themed music CD that I made myself via my CD Recorder that I play at any time of the year. Horror Movies are screened quite often all the year through, INCLUDING December, and I've been on this site since last September. I don't think I can callit an "inpregnable bubble," but the Halloween spirit is present year round at my 100 year old house alone gives me plenty of year round Halloween spirit. Especialy when there's a thunder storm raging. Listening to all those creeks, grunts, groans and bumps through out the night really brings the Ghostly spirit home for me.

Mike

Halloweennut08
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Halloweennut08 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:14 am

I just bought a Halloween themed cd and I love it. I too try to live in a 365 Halloween year around but I live in Ohio. It is really great this time of year the fall with the leaves, the cool air and we have some good decorators lucky in my town I will try to make pics Halloween and post them to show you guys. But for me when the air turns cool that is when the bug just hits me like crazy, Don't get me wrong after last year since my Grandma doesn't like Halloween that much I kidded her and said the first day after Halloween "Hay guess what, she was like what then I said, only 364 days left until Halloween we both chuckled.

But really I try to plan all year around but the "pre season starts in July for me and goes until now, I go buy decorations, try to think of cool ideas rent scary movies at red box, And watch as much Haunted Tv as I can. Even year around I love the live Ghost haunts done by taps and Most Haunted. I watch many shows, I usually keep my decorations up until the 2nd or 3rd. And I'm calling it by what we all feel after Halloween. Post Halloween Sickness or PHS. I just get so upset when Halloween like watching a sad movie at the end the journey was so great you could live the rest of your life in those 2 months September, October. I really just love everything about Halloween. Can't wait until Halloween USA opens it should be this month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
HALLOWEEN 2011 THE COUNTDOWN BEGINS!!!!

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:34 pm

In July I'm usualy celebrating the 4th with all kinds of fireworks, and then my bday on the 24th, but I do get that "itch" around then, like I did on my way to the Indiana Dunes last July. I was on the bike, and I got off at the wrong exit, and drove by a pumpkin patch, or I should say a pumpkin farm. There were pumpkin vines and pumpkins as far as the eye could see.

Mike

tantraman
Halloween Master

Post by tantraman » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:05 pm

I buy halloween decorations in july and decorte then
happy happy halloween silver shamrock.

Please check out our new horror movie blog check our the first post on our new horror movie blog https://horrormoviehallofflames.wordpress.com/

Halloweennut08
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Halloweennut08 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:58 am

Pumpkin_Man, sounds like a scare and a good place to miss huh, And I almost forgot the best thing about Halloween Pumpkin Pie love that stuff I eat a lot of it during this time of the year. Right now I'm pretty busy with work and mowing. But I think this year I took a huge leap forward for the first time ever I was able in the last past two days Clean up the whole house , which isn't easy its pretty big areas. Actually everything is looking great and got out and put up all my Fall Harvest decorations up before September 20. The date where I usually do it. SO my time table looks like this, I will probably be working, but when I can I will go search in a lot of Halloween stores, dollar stores, And retail stores. I just have a feeling this is going to be the best Halloween ever!!!!
HALLOWEEN 2011 THE COUNTDOWN BEGINS!!!!

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:51 am

i decorate for halloween this weekend :)

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:44 pm

I'm going to be doing some cleaning over the weekend, but I am also driving up to Rievewood to look at some Victory Motorcycles.

Mike

Sexy Ladybug
Ghost

Post by Sexy Ladybug » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:29 am

I start with my autumn decorations at the beginning of august, and that's all the orange colors and pumpkins and such. I also really enjoy going to disneyland, and the haunted mansion can really give me that burst of halloween joy anytime of year.
Sexy Ladybug

~~~Happy Haunting~~~

Ladybug Costume